The Role of Governors
The Governing Body’s overriding responsibility is to support and challenge the Head Teacher to promote school improvement.
The school has 12 governors in the following categories:
- Two parent governors (elected by parent body)
- One LA governor (appointed by WSCC)
- One staff governor (elected by staff)
- One head teacher (ex-officio)
- Three foundation governors (one ex-officio, two appointed by the Diocese of Chichester)
- Four co-opted governors (appointed by Governing Body)
The Governing Body has three key functions:
Establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting the vision, values, and objectives for the school
- Agreeing the school improvement strategy with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties such as those relating to Health and Safety and the National Curriculum.
Ensuring accountability by:
- Appointing the head teacher
- Monitoring progress towards targets
- Performance managing the head teacher
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Contributing to school self-evaluation
Ensuring financial probity by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained
- Ensuring risks to the organisation are managed
In addition, as a Church of England Voluntary Controlled school, governors also ensure the school develops its Christian ethos.
The governing body fulfils its function through a regular programme of committee meetings and monitoring visits to the school. Governors sign a Code of Conduct which sets out the expectations on and commitment required from school governors in order for the governing body to properly carry out its work.
Governing Body prepares an annual statement which summarises what they have achieved in the previous academic year. The Annual Statement can be found here.
To see full details on the current governing body, please go to Governing Body on the drop down menu. The governors bring a wide range of experience and expertise to the school. The Governor Profiles can be found here .
To see copies of the minutes of governor meetings, please contact the school office.
You are most welcome to contact Mrs Lynn Hainge, our Chair of Governors, via Mrs Verity Brown, Clerk to Governors at the School:
Tel: 01444 831371